OFW in UAE


On 3rd October 2014 when I arrived in the United Arab Emirates  (UAE) I decide to move on to the next challenge of my life.

At that time I just turned 23 years old, as a first-timer Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) I don't have any idea what would be the life waiting for me here. It was very difficult for me to adjust as it is a very different place. The climate is my concern in the beginning the difference in timing between my country and here and the diversity of the place. At first, I felt afraid, but then, I cope up with the changes as time goes by. Honestly, I am not that kind of strong person I am very introverted I don't have much self-confidence to face people. 

When you are planning to go and work abroad you have to think many times if you are capable to do it because there are instances that you will feel lonely and the ending is to go back home instead of planning and aiming for your dream of every person wished to come here. I know some people easily give up.

We don’t want to waste money, effort, and time. (My parents spend almost a hundred thousand pesos to prepare everything I need, so this is a really serious thing)

Before leaving my home country, of course, I've done the step-by-step process from processing my documents to my travel journey. At the airport, I have to be attentive and vigilant I make sure I have all the documents with me.

Things to consider

There are a lot of things you have to be aware of when you reached here. One to consider is the way of clothing, wearing revealing clothes is not really acceptable, in our country it is normal to wear shorts and other revealing clothes but here or in any Middle East country although UAE is an advanced and open country we still have to respect local people especially they are very conservative and part of their culture we see them wearing traditional clothes called Abaya and Kandoora. The reason I'm saying this is also to avoid attracting people, especially men by way of wearing clothes which can attempt people to harass, you will give them a wrong impression I am not telling this is a must but I'm telling this for your own good. (But if there is an event that you have to attend as long as it is decent to look it’s OK to wear)

Furthermore, UAE is a multi-diverse business country considering other languages, and English with different accents is very normal here nobody will try to mock you about it as people are considerate

The Straggle

Normal people will need to find a small space to stay, having a flat here is not really practical if you living alone (For me, I cannot spend most of my salary for house rental; I'd rather spend my money on sending back home for the family and the rest is my own savings). You can save more if the company which you are working give accommodation and transportation. (Nowadays the minimum amount of bed space will cost AED 700 upconvert to Peso around Php. 8,700 up that is for bed space only, depending on the area, the more developed place the more expensive). 

The challenge of being independent here, especially when we used to live with our family before and they used to do all the stuff for you then suddenly you left for your career, first of all, you have to do all of your stuff on your own like washing clothes and ironing them, cooking, preparing food for yourself having your food alone (no one will do it for you unlike when you’re at home ;) ).

Second when you are sick you need to go on your own to the clinic or hospitals, if you have relative here it would be better for you. In my situation, no one will be there as I leave alone relatives are too far to visit me sometimes I visit them in their place and some of my colleagues and friends are also working, they cannot come.

Third, we Filipinos are very family-oriented people sometimes we cannot avoid feeling homesick we tend to be so emotional. For me what I usually do is to always think on the positive side I ask myself, what is the reason why I am here?, I think about the goal I want to achieve and I try to talk to someone who is willing to listen or otherwise call back home to talk to my mom in that way I feel better. 

Another thing, work and home is the best place for you to stay although you need to unwind sometimes but still focus on your goal and avoid distractions.

The Goodness

Here is the exciting part of living and working in the UAE. I experience from simple to extremely new and different things.

I've seen one of the highest buildings in the world the Burj Khalifa and two of the most luxurious hotel in the world the Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi and Burj Al Arab in Dubai. I also experienced riding the metro in Dubai it is very convenient and all stations are well organized, men and women are in separate tubes, it is a fast and comfortable trip around Dubai. 

Most of the people in the world mistakenly know Dubai as a country, including me in the beginning, but then I found out that UAE is a country consisting of seven Emirates and these are Abu Dhabi the capital city, Dubai as the tourist and business capital, Sharjah, Ras Al Khaimah, Umm AL Quwain, Ajman and Fujairah, each of these region has its own wonders.  

There are a lot of beautiful places where you can explore and interesting activities that you could try. For me, UAE is a wonderful place, an advanced and spontaneously develop country while maintaining its rich heritage and culture.

Transportation here is very good, the roads are wide and clean. There are buses that have timing and you could only ride in exact time in any bus station, just look for the number of the bus that could pass your destination, buy a tap card that can reload in the machine at the bus station area. However, if you plan to go to other Emirates like Sharjah, Ras Al Khaimah and Al Ain, Abu Dhabi there is the main bus station and you could buy a ticket from there.

I've seen the rocky and green mountainous and desert area of UAE; I've almost been in the seven emirates of UAE. (Al ain, Abu Dhabi, Dubai Sharjah, Ras Al Khaimah, Umm Al Quwain I've feel amazed when I  saw a real camel which I only have seen on the TV or in a picture).

I can buy what I want even gold jewellery at the cheapest price during sale month. Branded clothes and shoes and oh the chocolates are overloaded when markets are on sale.

I am in love with the weather during winter time and summer time extremely warm.

I've enjoyed international food it is amazing and unbelievable. I've tried the different kind of cuisine biryani is the most popular food that you won’t stop eating until u feel full the way they cook the rice is different and it has many spices.

Filipino restaurants are everywhere so you will not miss everything in the Philippines incomes of food.

Working here lead you into many kinds of opportunity you can find the best career for yourself just be patient, grab the opportunity to gain knowledge and experience and later on find a job that suit for you. 

In my experience, I used my free time in learning something. I've expanded my knowledge in computer and secretarial when one of my friends encouraged me to study I got a certificate of advance in computer and secretarial course here in Abu Dhabi it was fun not only learned something from them but also met new friends with that experience. 

I had a simple life before and in a simple family, I am not expecting anything because I know that I am born in simple living and will end in a simple life. Now its been more than two years and I am enjoying my life neither up nor down. Sometimes you think that you are not capable to do somethings better but wait for the time and have faith everything will change. However, you have to help yourself too to achieve what you are aiming for. 


Pictures of me  &  Pictures taken by me 


During Christmas season





The world trade centre in Abu Dhabi the establishment is made of  strong wood and has twin tower end to end




One of my favourite activities



A good stolen shot of me in a restaurant




A nice coffee shop in Abu Dhabi 



Arabian people cooking sweets in an event






Arab traditional stick dance




I think that camel smile at me 





The Emirates Palace I heard that they decorated with real gold inside






Beautiful buildings view from outside of Emirates Palace




The very prestigious Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi some of famous Hollywood celebrities went here like Rihanna and Selena Gomez 






The well-known highest building in the world Burj Khalifa in Dubai at my back view




The luxurious hotel Burj Al Arab 





A very nice place in Dubai near Burj Al Arab 





Fruit world in Dubai you can order any kind of fresh juices 






The dancing fountain and fireworks in Sharjah Lake





White sand beach between part of Dubai and Sharjah 
(wearing bikinis are allowed in the beach area provided that you are in open beach that allows it. Be careful of taking pictures it is prohibited especially if there are ladies in that area some beach are separated for women, family and men)  



My recognition day when I study to advance in computer and secretarial in Abu Dhabi





 





It is not bad to think of yourself sometimes but knows your limit and priorities in life at the same time find your happiness to fulfil your worth life living. 



Thank you I hope you inspired by reading my blog have a happy life, beautiful people!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Braces Pros and Cons

Acne story, how I get rid of it!

Paris France Travel Blog